Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Woman dies in CO leak

A woman has died and a man is seriously ill in hospital after being poisoned by carbon monoxide (CO) fumes emitting from an appliance in their home.

 

Officers from Feltham Police station were called to the flat in Wooldridge close, west London, at approximately 8.30 last night.

On entering the premises, a man and woman were discovered to be suffering from what is believed to be carbon monoxide poisoning, the police said.

 

A 26-year-old was pronounced dead on the scene, and a man thought to be approximately 32 years old was taken to hospital where his condition is described as critical.

 

As a precaution, fire-fighters from Feltham Fire Brigade were called to the block to evacuate 24 residents while safety checks were carried out. The block was declared safe for residents to return to early this morning.

 

A spokesman from the Fire Brigade said early indications showed that the couple had suffered carbon monoxide poisoning. The Health and Safety Executive said it was being kept updated of the situation.

 

Lynn Griffiths, the president of CO-Awareness, the gas safety charity, said more needed to be done to educate the general public about the dangers of the poisonous gas.
 
“If we are to prevent incidents like this from occurring the general public needs to be educated about the dangers of CO,' she said. “We would like to see a full campaign, aimed at the general public, to make them aware of both the dangers of carbon monoxide and their symptoms.

'Statistics show that there are still too many members of the general public who remain unaware of dangers associated with poorly serviced and maintained gas appliances.'


A post mortem is to be scheduled in due course.