Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Safety alert after unregistered installer jailed

A safety alert has been issued after an unregistered gas fitter who “repeatedly put lives at risk” was jailed for 12 months.


Health and Safety Executive is urging anyone who may have had work carried out by Thomas Dalton, 39, from Harrogate, over the past four years to have checks carried out.

Inspector Kate Dixon said: 'Thomas Dalton has repeatedly put lives at risk by carrying out gas work without the proper accreditation or training, and whilst being prohibited from such work.


'The HSE wants to advise anyone who has had gas work carried out by this man since 2005, that they should arrange for a Gas Safe registered installer to check his work to make sure its safe.'


Dalton, of Harrogate, had already served three months behind bars back in 2006 after breaching a Health and Safety Executive prohibition notice barring him from carrying out any work on gas fittings.


York Crown Court heard Mr Dalton, a self-employed plumber, had been served with the notice in April 2005 because he was not a registered gas installer.


The court was told that, in spite of this, he carried out gas fitting work at The Avenue in Harrogate in May that year.


He was sentenced to three months’ imprisonment in December, 2005, after admitting breaching the notice, as well as 13 further offences of failing to comply with gas safety regulations.


However, he continued to ignore the warnings and broke the prohibition notice again in January 2007 when he installed a gas boiler at Cornwall Road, Harrogate.


The HSE said it was installed “in such a way that the flue and the pipe work put the householders’ lives at risk, as carbon monoxide could have leaked into the property”.


Dalton was given a 12-month sentence this week after pleading guilty to two breaches of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act.


Ms Dixon said: 'HSE will not hesitate to prosecute individuals who break the law in this way and put people's lives at risk.'

All installers must be approved by the Gas Safe Register