A South-west council has been fined £5,000 for failing to maintain gas fittings within its local schools.
Plymouth City Council pleaded guilty to breaching gas safety regulations after it was found to have not carried out systematic safety checks to Local Education Authority schools in Plymouth between July 2003 and October 2005.
Plymouth Magistrates Court heard the Health and Safety Executive began investigating the council after a report of a dangerous gas fitting in Hyde Park Junior School kitchen in February 2006.
It subsequently found defective gas appliances at a number of schools.
In addition to the fine, the council was ordered to pay costs of £6,500 and a £15 victim surcharge.
HSE said it was now satisfied remedial action had been taken to remedy the breaches.