Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Worcestershire man prosecuted for illegal gas work

Self employed unregistered gas fitter Mark Crake, of Worcester Road, Malvern was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive after he left a resident with a newly-installed gas hob leaking gas.

Despite not being registered, Mr Crake fitted the gas hob on 29 July 2011 without carrying out a pressure test to confirm there were no leaks and without tightening the connections to the gas hob.

An investigation by Gas Safe Register confirmed the boiler had not been fitted correctly and to current standards.

Mark Crake pleaded guilty to a breach of Regulation 3 (7) and Regulation 3 (3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 as well as a breach of Section 3 (2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

He was sentenced to four months in prison for each of the three offences with the sentences to run concurrently, but suspended for 12 months, alongside 250 hours of unpaid community work. He was ordered to pay £3,500 towards costs.

After the hearing, HSE inspector Chris Gregory said: “Mark Crake carried out potentially lethal work at a home in Worcester. Poorly maintained, faulty or badly installed gas work can cause explosions or carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be fatal or cause serious long-term health problems.

“This is why it is essential that only people who are registered as competent, qualified gas engineers with Gas Safe should carry out work on gas fittings.”

Gas Safe Register chief executive Russell Kramer added: “A quarter of a million illegal gas jobs are carried out every year by people who don’t have the skills or the qualifications to work safely with gas.

“It’s therefore vital that people always make sure the person working on their gas appliances is on the Gas Safe Register. If they don’t, they could be putting their family’s lives and homes at risk from gas fires, explosions, leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning.”

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.