A Bradford builder has been jailed for four months after illegally attempting to install gas and electric in a botched extension project.
John Howe, trading as J Howe Plumbing and Construction, installed a gas boiler in the loft of the building and hob in the kitchen of the granny flat, despite not being a Gas Safe engineer.
Tests by the Health and Safety Executive found that the gas work was unsafe and the boiler could have been a danger to life or property if operated.
An electrical test also found Howe’s work posed an unacceptable risk of injury or death, Bradford Magistrates’ Court heard.
Howe had been paid £28,000 to build the flat at the back of a house in Crestwood Close, Bradford, belonging to Mr Khalid Rehman. He started work in May 2009 but by June 2010 the work was still not complete and he had failed to turn up on site.
The complainant called in another builder, who advised him power connections in the flat may be dangerous. He then asked Bradford Council’s Building Control to investigate and the Health and Safety Executive was notified.
The HSE served a prohibition notice on Howe preventing him from carrying out any domestic gas work until he becomes competent and Gas Safe registered.
Howe pleaded guilty to five breaches of health and safety legislation and gas safety regulations.
Bradford Council principal building control surveyor Justin Booth said: “We arranged joint inspections and meetings with Gas Safe and later with the HSE to resolve the safety issues.
“The HSE decided to prosecute Mr Howe because his work had posed a risk to people’s lives and we were able to support the prosecution.”