Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Unregistered Wiltshire gas fitter prosecuted

A Westbury man has been prosecuted for illegal and unsafe gas work after falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register.

Ken Pirie, of Timor Rd, Westbury appeared before North Wiltshire Magistrates on 16 April 2013 in relation to work on a gas boiler at an address in Oldfield Park, Westbury, on 15 March 2012.

He claimed to be qualified to carry out work on gas appliances, but a subsequent investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which brought the prosecution, established that he wasn’t registered with Gas Safe – a legal requirement for anyone undertaking such work.

Magistrates heard that an investigator from Gas Safe Register went to the domestic address on 11 June 2012 following complaints from the householder. They discovered work had been done to the boiler that breached specifications for gas appliances and could be classed as unsafe.

Mr Pirie pleaded guilty to three separate breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He was sentenced to 80 hours unpaid community service and was also ordered to pay £450 compensation to the householder and £1,000 towards prosecution costs.

After the hearing, HSE inspector Andy Shaw said: “Incorrectly fitted gas appliances can be highly dangerous and can lead to loss of life. Those who undertake gas work must be on the Gas Safe Register and be competent to carry out such work. 

“Anyone who works on gas appliances without being registered is breaking the law. Ken Pirie knew this and falsely claimed to be Gas Safe registered to compensate.

“Yet he clearly wasn’t competent, as his unsafe handiwork testified. This case highlights the need for householders to check the credentials of anyone working at their property, especially where gas is involved.“

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.