Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Two-year jail sentence for dangerous gas worker

A man has been sent to prison for two years after he performed dangerous work while falsely claiming to be a registered gas engineer.

Burnley Crown Court heard that installations carried out by Stephen Jonathan, of Collins Drive in Baxenden, had endangered the lives of people at two properties in Lancashire, one of which was home to a baby.

Mr Jonathan was found to have committed a total of six offences and his work was classified as ‘immediately dangerous’ by the Health and Safety Executive.

During the proceedings it was stated that residents had been placed at risk of being killed or seriously injured from either a gas explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning.

His dangerous work came to light when an engineer was sent to one of the Accrington properties after a boiler installed by Mr Jonathan was reported to the manufacturer as faulty.

The engineer reported the boiler as being ‘immediately dangerous’ and disconnected it from the gas supply. Mr Jonathan was reported to the Gas Safe Register and the HSE, which then carried out an investigation.

This showed he had carried out an installation of a central heating system at the second Accrington property, again claiming to be a registered gas engineer.

Mr Jonathan admitted putting lives at risk and carrying out gas work while falsely claiming to be a registered gas engineer. He was sentenced to 24 months in prison at Burnley Crown Court.

Geoff Street, 52, spent £1,700 on making the boiler safe at one of the Accrington properties.

He said: “It’s shocking that Stephen Jonathan didn’t have any consideration for my life or anyone else’s.

“I was looking after my sister’s baby in the house without knowing both our lives were being put in danger by the boiler he installed.”