Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Two contractors in court over illegal Suffolk gas work

Two men have been fined for organising and carrying out illegal gas work as part of a construction job at a property in Suffolk.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found Anthony Thomas Hylins, of Railway Close, Burwell, Cambridgeshire, organised the installation of a gas boiler at a property in Exning, Suffolk between January and May of 2014 after he had been contracted by the owners to build an extension.

He sub-contracted the job to Mark Smith of Exeter Road, Newmarket, Suffolk, who was not Gas Safe registered.

Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court heard Mr Hylins knew Mr Smith was not Gas Safe registered but had expected him to attend the site with a registered engineer, who would oversee and sign-off on the work. This is a practice that is expressly prohibited by Gas Safe.

A subsequent inspection by Gas Safe found serious safety flaws with the Mr Smith’s boiler installation.

There had been a significant gas leak, the cover of the boiler had been fitted wrongly and the flue had not been sealed correctly.

The appliance was made safe by a registered engineer.

Mr Hylins was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay a £120 victim surcharge and £645.90 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching Regulation 4 of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998.

Mr Smith was fined £1,000, ordered to pay a £100 victim surcharge as well as £645.90 in costs after admitting a breach of Section 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation & use) Regulations 1998.

After the case, HSE inspector Ivan Brooke said: “HSE will not hesitate to investigate cases of unsafe and unregistered gas work and hold offenders to account. 

“Householders should always ask for evidence of Gas Safe registration and/or check the Gas Safe Register online before allowing work on gas appliances. 

“Gas work by people not competent to do so can expose people to risk of fire/explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning.”

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.