Some patients at Leicester General Hospital have been given bottled water instead of tap water for drinking and brushing their teeth after Legionella bacteria was found in its water supply, the BBC has reported.
Patients on two wards at Leicester General Hospital have been stopped from taking showers after Legionella bacteria was found in its water system.
University Hospitals of Leicester (UHL) said bottled water was also being provided to people on wards 28 and 29.
The hospital added there were “no known cases of infection” linked to the water supply and the “measures taken are precautionary”.
The bacteria can cause Legionnaires’ disease, which causes severe pneumonia.
People become infected with the bacteria by inhaling contaminated water droplets.
The bug was found as part of the hospital’s routine safety checks, which includes testing its water supplies on all wards for Legionella bacteria.
There are up to 400 cases of Legionnaires’ disease reported a year in England and Wales.
The 11th Annual Combatting Legionella & Water Treatment conference, will be taking place on 24-25 September at Holte Suite, Aston Villa Park, Birmingham.
The conference is a comprehensive and cutting-edge event that will ensure engineering and facilities management teams are able to prevent legionella bacteria and comply with water safety regulation.