Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Rushi fined £15k after carbon monoxide scare

Wembley based contractor Rushi has been fined £15,000 after leaving two customers at risk of death or serious illness from exposure to carbon monoxide fumes.

Rushi, which is owned by Vikas Patel, was building an extension to a home in Westwood Drive, Little Chalfont in Buckinghamshire which involved building around the flue outlet of a gas boiler, between 3 September and 8 December 2009.

Rather than using a qualified engineer to carry out the work, Mr Patel used a sewage pipe and a washing machine vent hose to extend the flue outlet across the new room and out a window without success. This meant that harmful carbon monoxide gases were being released into the house, exposing the owners to potentially deadly fumes.

Rushi Construction was fined £12,000 and ordered to pay costs of £1,000 at Ayelsbury Magistrates’ Court yesterday. Vikas Patel was fined £3,000 and ordered to pay costs of £731.

HSE inspector Stephen Manley said: “Everybody involved in construction work, from small jobs such as fitting a conservatory, to larger extension builds, must think about the effect it may have on the safe operation of existing services such as gas appliances and flues.

“Mr Patel’s clients could have died because of the unsafe situation he created in their home.”