Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Prosecution over dangerous boiler work

An unregistered gas fitter from Verwood has been prosecuted for an illegal and dangerous boiler installation at a Bournemouth home.

Michael Smithers, of Nightingale Close, Verwood, 45, undertook the work at Shelbourne Road in December 2011 after falsely claiming to be qualified to carry out work on gas appliances.

He was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive after an investigation established that he wasn’t a member of the Gas Safe Register – a legal requirement for anyone undertaking such work.

Bournemouth Magistrates’ Court heard that when tenants moved into the property in January 2012 they started to experience problems with the boiler. An engineer from the boiler manufacturer attended, identified a number of defects and put a warning notice on the boiler, instructing that it should not be used.

Mr Smithers later returned to rectify the defects, noted the warning notice, but disagreed with the boiler manufacturer’s engineer and turned the boiler back on. Concerned, the tenants contacted the letting agent and another engineer came to resolve the issues.

A regional investigations officer from the Gas Safe Register identified a number of problems with the standard of the installation and condition of the boiler, including nine specifically relating to the work done by Mr Smithers.

Mr Smithers pleaded guilty to three separate breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He was fined a total of £15,000 and ordered to pay £7,000 in costs.

After the hearing, HSE inspector Mehtaab Hamid said: “Those who undertake gas work must be on the Gas Safe Register. Anyone who works on gas appliances without being registered is breaking the law. Mr Smithers knew this and falsely claimed to be Gas Safe registered, yet he clearly wasn’t competent to carry out gas work – as demonstrated by the defects identified with his work.

“This case highlights the need for householders to check the credentials of anyone working at their property, especially where gas is involved.”

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.