Carbon Monoxide Awareness president Lynn Griffiths says that more funding is needed or the charity will be forced to close despite receiving some funding from United Utilities and Plus Dane.
“If 60 to 100 businesses, housing associations and councils from around the UK were each to contribute £500, which is just £10 a week, the charity can be saved.”
According to Ms Griffiths, government spending cuts are putting increasing numbers of people at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Ms Griffiths said that thousands of people are failing to have gas and other fossil fuel appliances regularly serviced.
“The simple fact of the matter is that the current economic climate is forcing thousands of people into poverty and they don’t have spare cash for even essential maintenance, like having their central heating boilers and other fuel burning appliances serviced at the appropriate time,” she said.
“It’s a false economy and people are gambling with their lives, but when it comes down to a choice between putting food on the table and having a flue checked or an appliance serviced. I can understand where they’re coming from. These are desperate days and people are making desperate choices.”