Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Poster competition to highlight carbon monoxide

A competition has been launched by Southern Gas Networks and CO-Gas Safety to highlight the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The new competition serves as a reminder to those going on camping holidays or to music festivals not to take a barbecue into a tent even if it has burned down as the charcoal might still be burning and emitting the deadly carbon monoxide.

SGN and CO-Gas Safety are running the competition to find the most eye-catching safety poster to warn people about the dangers of CO. The competition is opened to pupils’ aged 11 and 12.

Entry is free and there is £300 for each winning pupil and £500 for each winning school. The winners will also be invited down to the Houses of Parliament as part of the prize.

Stephanie Trotter of CO-Gas Safety, said: “We are hoping for some brilliant entries to help us get the message across.

“Not only about BBQ deaths but carbon monoxide poisoning in general and the fact that it is a silent killer as you cannot smell or hear it and it really can take anyone by surprise.”

There were three deaths from CO poisoning from barbecues last year, two in 2010 and one in 2007.

The most recent tragedy involved a girl of 14 being gassed by a BBQ in a family tent as they enjoyed a bank holiday trip earlier this month.

The closing date for entries is July 31.

Details can be found here