Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Plumber left gas boiler in dangerous state

A self-employed plumber left a boiler with numerous faults and in a dangerous state at a customer’s home at Hillyfield Road, Exeter.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigated the incident and prosecuted Mr Dunn at a hearing before Exeter Magistrates on 4 November.

The court was told that Michael Dunn of Luscombe Crescent, Paignton installed a new gas boiler and left it leaking gas. The boiler flue that he installed was not installed to the manufacturer’s instructions nor to the proper standards.

Mr Dunn then compounded his offences by ignoring repeated concerns raised with him by the homeowners that they could smell gas.

Wales and West Utilities were then called to attended site and found that there was a gas leak and the situation was unsafe.

Mr Dunn pleaded guilty to two breaches of gas safety regulations and was fined a total of £1,000 and ordered to pay £1,000 in costs.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.