Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Plumber fined following house explosion

A plumber has been fined for safety failings that caused large-scale damage to a domestic property in Cambrian Way, Haslingden.

Lee Barrett, a self-employed plumber from Haslingden, Lancashire, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

The case was heard by Burnley Magistrates’ Court, which was told that in May 2014, Mr Barrett had failed to put in place the appropriate safety devices when removing a water tank during a loft conversion.

He had, effectively, created a closed water system combined with an old immersion heater, which allowed water to heat to 100ºC in a copper cylinder, said the Health and Safety Executive.

This caused the cylinder to rupture and the stored water to turn to steam, resulting in “catastrophic damage” to the property – which had to be largely rebuilt.

Mr Barrett was fined a total of £500, with costs of £933.