Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

One Scot in 20 suffers from carbon monoxide poisoning

One in 20 private renters claim to have suffered carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning in their home in the past five years, according to new research for Shelter Scotland and Scottish Gas.

The Scotsman reported the survey found about 5% of those renting from a private landlord had been affected.

Meanwhile, about two-fifths (43%) of renters said their landlord or letting agent had failed to carry out gas safety checks in the past five years, with 7% of tenants stating they had experienced a gas leak in this period.

Shelter Scotland has joined forces with Scottish Gas in a bid to improve housing in the private rental sector.

A total of 1,387 people privately renting their home were questioned for the research, which was carried out by YouGov.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.