NG Bailey has become the second major contractor in the breakaway group of seven to confirm that it no longer plans to introduce the controversial Building Engineering Services National Agreement.
A statement issued by the company said BESNA relied on the UK’s biggest M&E firms adopting a single agreement that would introduce a modern working environment.
It said: “Following the announcement from Balfour Beatty Engineering Services last Friday, the future of the BESNA is now untenable. NG Bailey can therefore confirm it will withdraw the BESNA contracts and will continue to work to the current working rule agreements.
“The company welcomes Unite’s statement that it is committed to wide ranging talks on modernising the industry.”
In a joint statement issued with BBES last week, Unite said it was committed to modernising the 40 year old JIB agreements which BESNA was designed to replace.
MJN Colston had originally been part of the group planning to introduce BESNA but announced it was backing out last autumn.
Crown House, Spie Matthew Hall, Tommy Clarke, Gratte Brothers and Shepherd Engineering have yet to confirm whether they will drop BESNA, despite widespread predictions that the agreement will be increasingly difficult to implement as support falls away despite the fact that 90 per cent of workers have already signed up.