Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

North Devon housing company prosecuted for safety failings – again

A South West housing firm has been sentenced after capping off a chimney at one of its occupied properties despite the chimney being in use.

The incident was investigated by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which prosecuted North Devon Homes, of Westacott Road, Barnstaple, at Barnstaple Magistrates’ Court on 13 August.

The court heard North Devon Homes employees were investigating damp at a property at Church Lake, Landkey and in an attempt to solve the problem removed a chimney and tiled over the roof.

This left the chimney terminating within the home’s loft despite that fact the chimney was being used to flue the gas fire and gas boiler.

Several weeks after the work was completed the tenant went into the loft and found that there was a very strong unpleasant smell.

At around this time, the tenant’s carbon monoxide alarm was also sounding.

The tenant called the emergency gas services who came to their home and classed the situation as “immediately dangerous”, meaning the situation could be an immediate risk to life.

North Devon Homes pleaded guilty to a breach of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined a total of £6,000 and ordered to pay £833 in costs.

HSE inspector Simon Jones said: “This was an incredibly dangerous situation where gas appliances were left to pump potentially poisonous and fatal gasses into the loft space of a home instead of to outside the property.

“Whenever a chimney is removed or capped, careful checks should be taken to ensure that the chimney is not being used and cannot be used in the future.

“Proper control by North Devon Homes and clear work instructions would have prevented this dangerous situation from arising and putting the lives of their tenants at risk.”

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.