Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

MPs join call for carbon monoxide safety on boats

The investigative report from the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) into the deaths in 2013 of a mother and daughter from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning on a boat on Lake Windermere in the Lake District has been published.

The report outlined some similar safety issues to those identified in a seperate report by the organisation into the deaths from CO poisoning of two men onboard small fishing vessel Eschol in January 2014.

In both cases, it found there was no functional CO alarm present that could have alerted occupants to the dangerous build-up of deadly CO gas.

Following the announcement, All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group co-chair Jason McCartney MP said: “It’s vital the public understands that CO is a deadly gas that emanates from many different sources, not just domestic gas boilers as many believe.

“[We are] determined to carry on working with the emergency services, campaign groups and industry bodies to make sure the message is getting through to the public. CO poisoning is a threat in your home, on boats, in camping tents and in many other environments.”

Elsewhere, Bath and North East Somerset Council is urging residents to back a campaign that aims to give social landlords extra powers to make sure gas appliances in the properties they own are safe.

Gas Access is calling for the law to be changed so that social landlords that are legally responsible for the upkeep and safety of gas appliances – such as housing associations and local authorities – have the power to force entry to a property to ensure vital repairs can be made to faulty appliances.

It also wants an MOT-style safety check for gas appliances to ensure they are safe and fit for purpose.

This week, children have also been learning about gas safety in the classroom thanks to a new programme from Gas Safe Charity.

GetGasSafe.org.uk was launched to provide free educational resources around gas safety, including classroom lesson plans, presentations, videos, homework sheets and an interactive house activity.

The interactive house allows pupils to spot dangers and hazards in the home. The resources aim to help pupils manage risk responsibly and learn about gas.

Materials also include electrical safety advice from Electrical Safety First, and the campaign is supported by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.