An unregistered gas installer has been sentenced to community service over illegal gas work.
Graham Nicholls, 66, incorrectly fitted a flue to his neighbour’s LPG boiler, leaving them at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning or an explosion at their property.
Mr Nicholls, of Wiltshire, had carried out the work despite not having CORGI registration, Chippenham Magistrates’ Court heard.
His unregistered status was exposed when he was unable to complete paperwork over work in Corsham between February and March 2009.
He was asked to fill in a benchmark book so it was recorded who had installed the flue, as well as a building compliance certificate.
The boiler was recognised as being in a dangerous condition by a Gas Safe registered inspector who was called in after the deception came to light.
Mr Nicholls was found guilty of breaching the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He was sentenced to 300 hours of community service over 12 months and was also ordered to pay £2,280 in costs.