Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Maintenance man prosecuted for illegal gas work

A 70 year-old self-employed maintenance worker has been fined for carrying out illegal gas work at a café and restaurant in St Austell, exposing customers and workers to the risk of injury.

Alistair Nicholas Clyne, of Gwindra Industrial Estate, St Stephen, St Austell, who carried out servicing and repair work on commercial catering equipment, was prosecuted at Bodmin Magistrates Court for carrying out illegal gas work on appliances.

The court heard that Mr Clyne was not registered as qualified with Gas Safe and had been warned by the Health and Safety Executive in September 2012 not to undertake any gas work while unregistered.

HSE found that Mr Clyne carried out the work at Pit Stop Snacks in St Austell, repairing an LPG deep fat fryer and water boiler. He also carried out gas work at Simply Jude’s restaurant in Pentewan, converting gas appliances to LPG and installing new gas pipework and gas appliances.

Mr Clyne pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 3(3) and 26(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 between June 2012 and February 2013. He was fined £375 and ordered to pay costs of £1,000. He was also ordered to pay the restaurant owner £800 in compensation.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Simon Jones said: “Mr Clyne chose to ignore a previous warning from HSE and displayed a blatant disregard for the safety of the public, and workers and customers at the restaurants. Gas work should only be undertaken by a suitably qualified and competent Gas Safe registered engineer. In this case, Mr Clyne undertook commercial catering gas work which posed a real danger of carbon monoxide poisoning, fire and/or explosion.”

Readers' comments (1)

  • It would be very interesting to know what aspect/s of this man's work "posed a real danger of carbon monoxide poisoning, fire and/or explosion " or whether it was just the case that he wasn't Gas Safe Registered and ignored the HSE instruction so they chose to prosecute. Aain having done so the punishment is derisory compared to the earning capability of the work.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.