Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Liverpool gas explosion forces evacuation

Hundreds of people were evacuated from streets, homes and businesses on Thursday amid fears of a huge gas explosion in Liverpool city centre.

Police cordoned off roads within a 200m radius of the former Lewis’s department store after emergency services received reports of a suspected gas leak around 11.30am.

Four fire crews attended and firefighters helped police evacuate premises.

The strict safety cordon caused severe knock-on effects to public transport and the city centre came to a standstill.

Bus services were subject to delay and diversion while trains were prevented from stopping or passing through Liverpool Central station.

Around 15 Merseyrail staff stood outside Central station warding off frustrated commuters who couldn’t get into the station.

On the Northern Line, Southport, Kirkby, and Ormskirk services were starting and finishing at Moorfields, while services from Kirkby to the city centre stopped at Sandhills.

A huge part of the city centre was closed, including parts of Elliot Street, Ranelagh Street, Lime Street and Copperas Hill forcing shops to shut and traffic to be diverted.

Drivers and pedestrians were advised to avoid the area completely.

It is believed around 50 shops and businesses had to close their doors because of safety fears, among them such well-known names as Boots on Great Charlotte Street and McDonald’s, on Ranelagh Street, along with all the shops at the Liverpool Central concourse.

At Clayton Square shopping centre Clayton News, Ladbrokes and Discount UK were all closed.

Also affected was the NHS walk-in centre on Great Charlotte Street, with people advised to attend an alternative facility in Old Swan.

Police ventured into the exclusion zone to clear homes.

Jack Spencer, Josh Hallam and Abbey Catherall, all studying drama at John Moores university, were told to leave their Lime Street flat at 1.30pm.

Jack, 20, said: “We were just sitting around. I was about to go to the library.

“We saw police and thought it might be a bomb scare. We were a bit worried.

“Then they knocked on our door and told us to go.”