Fines totalling more than £8,000 have been handed out in Bristol for serious breaches of the gas safety regulations.
Attulkulmar Patel, 55, and Chetna Patel, 51, from Brynmawr near Ebbw Vale appeared before Bristol magistrates after officials from the Gas Safe Register discovered that a boiler had been illegally replaced.
The court heard that in 2008 Mr Patel had replaced the boiler at a rental property the couple owned in Bristol when he was not on the Gas Safe Register.
Additionally the court was told the couple failed to provide proof of an annual gas safety check for the year 2010.
Mr Patel admitted breaching regulations 3(1), 3(3), and 36(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.
Mrs Patel admitted breaching regulation 36 (3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.
The couple were fined £6,500 with £1,800 costs.
Gas Safe Register chief executive Paul Johnston said the Patel’s had put the lives of their tenants in danger.
He said: “Letting out a property can be a stressful task but it’s not worth cutting corners when it comes to gas.”
Senior HSE inspector Ian Whittles added: “Working with gas supplies is a specialised job and must only be carried out by trained engineers who are members of the Gas Safe Register, to minimise any risk of death or serious injury resulting from gas leaks or explosions.”
Join our industry-focused LinkedIn group