Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Landlord fined over safety breaches

A Portsmouth landlord’s failure to provide safety records for gas appliances at a property he rented out to a family has led to a conviction and fine for endangering lives.

Peter Brown was taken to court by health and safety chiefs for breaching the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and also failing to comply with the requirements of an Improvement Notice.

Portsmouth magistrates heard that Mr Brown, of Cavendish Drive, Waterlooville, Hampshire, rented out a property at Queens Road, Portsmouth, to a mother and her children in July 2006.

An inspection by the Portsmouth City Council in February 2009 found problems including damp and mould caused by leaks in the kitchen, which Mr Brown was legally required to remedy. The council then requested a copy of the Landlord’s annual Gas Safety Check Record, which he had failed to provide in two years.

Mr Brown admitted three charges, for which he was fined £11,500 and ordered to pay £4,500 costs - with an order imposed on a Gas Safety Check Record for the property.