Health and safety inspectors issued a warning after a landlord was fined for illegally carrying out gas work in his properties.
Mohammed Aslam was not qualified to work with gas when he performed the work at a flat and a house in Glasgow, the city’s Sheriff Court heard.
Aslam, from the Govanhill area, admitted four charges of breaching gas safety regulations between 2007 and 2008. He was fined £800.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the landlord had illegally installed a boiler at a house he owned in Newton Mearns.
Inspectors also found a gas fire there was not properly sealed to the wall. They found a risk of the fire producing carbon monoxide.
Mr Aslam also carried out gas fitting work on a boiler at a flat he owned in the Eastwood area of Glasgow, said HSE inspectors.
It was found that an uncapped gas fire supply pipe in the living room presented an “immediate danger” to the residents.
Barry Baker, HSE principal inspector, said: “Every year people die because of dangerous and badly maintained gas appliances. Last year 10 people across the UK died from gas-related incidents and hundreds were hospitalised.”