Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Landlord fined after gas safety breach

A landlord has been handed a fine after a defective gas appliance was found to be in operation at his premises.

Mr Ashby Bedeau, of Gladstone Street, Bedford, rented out a property in the city’s Rutland Road. In February this year his tenants felt unwell and contacted the gas helpline.

An engineer arrived and stopped the property’s gas supply, as carbon monoxide was found to be present, and advised the tenants to go to hospital. It was subsequently found that the gas hob was defective. British Gas capped off the hob as immediately dangerous.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) told Luton Magistrates’ Court that Mr Bedeau had a gas hob, gas cooker and boiler under contract from a gas provider, but he had not had the hob gas safety checked in January 2015 as required by law.

HSE told the court that landlords must ensure all gas appliances are not only checked for safety, but maintained in a safe condition.

Mr Bedeau admitted breaching r.36(2)(a) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and was fined £265 with costs of £845.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.