Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Land Rover provides heat energy for homes

Atmos Heating Systems is to display its adopted Land Rover at the Nextgen show with home heat energy function

The first car using stored heat from the engine to produce heat energy for use in homes for hot water and central heating will be on show for the first time at environmental trade show Nextgen later this year.

TESSA, which stands for Thermal Energy Storage and Saving Automobile, is a Land Rover Freelander fitted with a prototype thermal energy storage and transfer system developed by UK based heating supplier Atmos Heating Systems.

“We are delighted to be able to demonstrate the energy and carbon saving benefits TESSA offers at Nextgen. We have developed and patented a means of storing waste heat on board the vehicle, and a practical means of transferring the stored heat into a building for use as hot water and/or space heating,” said John Thomason, General Manager of Atmos Heating Systems. 

Focusing on emerging environmental technologies, Nextgen will be held at Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire, on 5-6 October. More than 150 international exhibitors and over 3,000 visitors are expected to take advantage of free admission during both days.

The show is co-located with two other events which cover different aspects of renewable energy: the flagship show EBEC looking at innovations within bio-energy and Microgen which will bring together manufacturers, distributors, installers and consumers of micro renewable technologies such as solar, wind and hydro power generation.

“It is great that Atmos with the technical support of Jaguar Land Rover are presenting this important prototype technology aboard the Freelander at Nextgen. As the name suggests, our environmental event aims to promote the next generation of technological innovations and this project is certainly one to watch in the future,” added Lucy Pitt, Group Marketing Manager of Closer2 Media, the company organising Nextgen.

According to Atmos, the internal combustion engine remains the power unit of choice for our road vehicles. Despite numerous advances in engine efficiency, however, this still only manages a mechanical power efficiency averaging around 30%. The remaining 70% is dissipated as heat, through the radiator coolant system and the exhaust. Although some of the coolant system energy is used to heat the interior of the vehicle, the rest is simply lost into the atmosphere.

“In other industries such horrendous waste would not be tolerated, and with the transport sector responsible for 40% of carbon emissions, this must not be left to continue. Whilst our technology does not reduce CO2 emissions from the vehicle, it utilises heat that is otherwise wasted, resulting in lower fossil fuel consumption in the home and thereby an overall net benefit to the environment,” explained Mr Thomason.

The technology developed by Atmos can be integrated with other renewable technologies in the home such as solar thermal and heat pumps. It can also be deployed into vehicles using biofuels instead of petrol and diesel fuels to ensure additional environmental benefits.