A double glazing company with three outlets in Medway towns has been fined for safety failings after building a conservatory over a gas flue.
Family firm Supaglazing was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for breaching gas safety regulations. This is the second time the firm has been convicted for such failings.
Dartford Magistrates’ Court was told that the firm’s workers had constructed a conservatory over an existing gas flue for a boiler at a property in Maidstone causing insufficient ventilation for combustion products.
Magistrates heard that HSE, which investigated the safety breach, had prosecuted the firm in January 2009. In that instance it had also built over an existing flue at a house in Maidstone.
Supaglazing, which also has outlets in Dartford and Sittingbourne, admitted breaching the Gas Safety Regulations between 23 July and 2 October 2010. It was fined £14,000 and ordered to pay £2,826 in costs.
HSE inspector Rob Hassell said: “Supaglazing should have learned from their previous conviction in January 2009 for a very similar offence.
“Companies that supply and install conservatories should be aware of the Gas Safety Regulations and ensure they comply with them.
“HSE will take robust enforcement action against any company found to be breaching them, whether an incident or injury has occurred or not.”