Police and safety officers have widened their investigation following the suspected carbon monoxide poisoning deaths of two teenagers in Northern Ireland.
The teenagers were staying in a holiday apartment in Castlerock when the tragedy happened on 4 August. A third teenager survived.
The Health and Safety Executive Northern Ireland says it has established that an LPG appliance in the flat in Castlerock was defective. As part of the investigation the HSENI has now issued a general alert to all people who have had gas fitting work done by George Brown of the Calor Shop in Coleraine.
A helpline has been set up and has already received more than 200 calls. In the latest incident traces of carbon monoxide were found in a flat in nearby Portstewart.
The statement from the HSENI says: “As part of its ongoing major investigation, HSENI’s Gas Safety Team has established that an LPG appliance in the flat in Castlerock was defective. HSENI is continuing to carry out checks in other premises in the Castlerock and Coleraine areas.
“As an additional precaution, HSENI is advising that if you have had gas work carried out in your home or premises by George Brown, trading as George Brown of ‘The Calor Shop’ in Coleraine, that you switch off all your gas appliances and contact HSENI’s emergency helpline number.”
According to media reports, police raided the premises of The Calor Shop and removed documents and computer discs. Mr Brown, who was not at the premises, is thought to have worked on the installation of the heating system at the Castlerock apartment.
HSENI has emphasised that The Calor Shop is a separate legal entity from Calor Gas (NI) Limited.
Join our industry-focused LinkedIn group