Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Infant dies of Legionella infection

An infant has died from Legionnaires’ disease a few weeks after being born in a heated birthing pool at home, according to a new report from investigators at the Texas Department of State Health Services.

The baby’s death, in January 2014, is the first and only documented case of this infection linked with water birth in the US, and comes after a few similar cases of legionella infection reported in the UK and France, Yahoo News has reported.

Public health investigators reviewed the disinfecting process used by the midwifery centre that provided the family with the birthing tub.

They also tested the tub for the bacteria, as well as the well water used to fill the tub.

However, the birthing tub had already been cleaned, disinfected and put in a storage.

The researchers said they believed the infant was infected by bacteria in the water during birth.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.