A Hyde builder who illegally carried out gas work at two homes in the town has appeared in court after putting the lives of two families at risk.
Monwar Ali, 40, of Syddall Street in Hyde, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive after an investigation found he had left a boiler at a house on Norbury Avenue in a condition classified as immediately dangerous.
A total of eight defects were also found with a boiler he installed on Harbour Farm Road. Both installations left the families living in the houses, which included young children, at risk of suffering carbon monoxide poisoning.
Mr Ali received a community order requiring him to carry out 220 hours of unpaid work within the next 12 months after pleading guilty to six breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 between 28 December 2010 and 31 August 2011.
Mr Ali was also ordered to pay £2,000 towards prosecution costs during the hearing on 13 June 2014.
Gas Safe Register chief executive Russell Kramer added: “One in five of the illegal gas jobs we investigate are found to be immediately dangerous. This means that the work could lead to a gas leak, fire, explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning.
“It is vital therefore that people always make sure they only use a registered gas engineer. Every Gas Safe registered engineer carries a Gas Safe ID card, which shows who they are and the type of gas work they are qualified to do, so you can check if your engineer is legal and safe by asking for the card.”