An unregistered gas fitter put a family in danger when he illegally installed a boiler and left it in a dangerous condition, a court has heard.
The prosecution of Mr Mahmood Khan, of Sheffield, was instigated after an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive, which had been alerted by a National Grid engineer in January 2012.
HSE inspector Denise Fotheringham said: “Not only was this person incompetent, unqualified and working illegally with gas fittings, he was careless of the risk and the lives of a woman and her two children.
“He had originally fitted a second-hand boiler and left it in a dangerous state. He later ignored the capping off of the boiler and also the highly visible warnings saying ‘immediately dangerous’ and proceeded to reconnect it, obviously leaving it still dangerous.
“People who work on gas fittings and appliances must be competent to do so and must be registered with Gas Safe.
“The HSE will prosecute unregistered gas fitters who operate illegally, as they are the people who put others at risk of serious personal injury, or death.”