Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Homeowners to receive free carbon monoxide detectors

Households in Cleethorpes have been urged to take up an offer of free carbon monoxide detectors, the Grimsby Telegraph has reported.

North East Lincolnshire Council has joined the campaign to make more homes safer from the silent killer.

The free giveaway comes days after Humberston and North Sea Lions pledged to give free detectors away and have them fitted in homes.

Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be caused by unsafe central heating systems, gas cookers or gas fires.

Badly fitted and poorly serviced appliances can cause gas leaks, fires and explosions, as well as carbon monoxide poisoning.

Gas engineers carrying out works in homes should be checked as having a Gas Safe Register ID card.

Meanwhile, national safety organisation CO-Gas Safety, which advises MPs, has urged people to make a carbon monoxide detector a Christmas gift to a loved one.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.