The parents of two children killed by carbon monoxide poisoning while on holiday have endorsed a new safety campaign about the dangers of the gas, the BBC has reported.
Christi and Bobby Shepherd, from Horbury, West Yorkshire, died from toxic gas fumes at a hotel in Corfu booked through Thomas Cook in 2006.
An inquest into their deaths ruled the pair were unlawfully killed and the company had breached its duty of care.
Their parents Sharon Wood and Neil Shepherd have welcomed the campaign, which was instigated by Thomas Cook.
The holiday company said it would “raise an initial £1m” to “fund research into protection from carbon monoxide, limit the risks associated with carbon monoxide and raise general awareness of the related dangers”.
Mrs Wood and Mr Shepherd had agreed to support the initiative and would be taking an active role in promoting its aims, the operator said.
Thomas Cook was widely criticised for its treatment of the family during the inquest last month.
Christi, 7, and Bobby, 6, were on holiday with their father and his now wife, Ruth, when they died.
The inquest at Wakefield Coroner’s Court heard they were poisoned by a faulty gas boiler at the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel, which was attached to the side of the bungalow where the family were staying.
A criminal trial held in Greece in 2010 cleared Thomas Cook of any responsibility but found the hotel’s manager and two members of staff guilty of manslaughter by negligence.
The Crown Prosecution Service said it was re-examining evidence in the case.