Three curry houses in Surrey were closed after gas leaks were found during environmental health checks, the BBC has reported.
Woking Borough Council officers visited 32 takeaway and restaurant premises in a crackdown on unsafe gas appliances.
The council said the checks came after poorly maintained tandoor ovens, used for cooking meat dishes and bread, led to injuries in other parts of the UK.
The three premises were made safe by engineers and have since re-opened, the council added.
Elsewhere in the borough, two premises had equipment disconnected, two had prohibition notices served to prevent use of unsafe equipment or appliances, and eight were issued with improvement notices requiring action within a specific period of time.
Traditional tandoor ovens are made with clay and use charcoal or wood but gas-operated stainless steel appliances have become increasingly popular, the council said.
Before the checks, the Woking Asian Business Forum wrote to businesses to advise them of the importance of gas safety, ask for their cooperation, and to expect contact from the council.