Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Gas fitter sentenced after Manchester pensioner sustains severe burns

A gas fitter has received a suspended prison sentence and curfew, and been ordered to carry out 300 hours of unpaid community work, after a pensioner suffered severe burns in a gas explosion at his home in Manchester.

Peter Smith, 66, was in a coma for three months following the blast, which happened when he turned on the gas hob on his cooker to make his lunch on 27 September 2011.

The spark from the cooker ignited gas that had built up in his house on Brynorme Road in Crumpsall after leaking from a hole in a pipe.

Gas fitter Christopher Laffin, 22, of Reston in Staveley, Cumbria, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive after an investigation found he had damaged live electrical wires while installing a new boiler at the terraced property earlier in the month. This caused a hole to burn through the gas pipe.

Manchester Crown Court heard Mr Laffin – an employee at AWL Plumbing and Heating – had burnt the cables while using a blow torch to solder together gas pipes that ran alongside them. He wrapped plastic tape around the cables instead of repairing them, despite them being badly charred.

Mr Laffin received a six month prison sentence, suspended for two years, which means he will be sent to prison if he commits another offence in the next two years.

He will also be subject to a curfew, requiring him to stay at home between 6pm and 6am on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays for the next six months, and was ordered to carry out 300 hours of unpaid work in the community.

Mr Laffin was ordered to pay £1,000 in prosecution costs after pleading guilty to a breach of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Stuart Kitchingman said: “Mr Smith suffered horrific injuries in the explosion which will affect him for the rest of his life, but he could easily have been killed.

“Having burnt through the cables while using a blow torch, it would have been obvious to Mr Laffin that the cables were severely damaged. He should have made sure they were properly repaired but instead he just wrapped them in tape.

“Mr Laffin clearly wasn’t competent to carry out electrical work, and he should have brought in an electrician if he didn’t know what he was doing.

“Working with gas and electricity are classified as specialist trades for a reason, and it’s therefore vital workers stick to their area of expertise so lives aren’t put at risk.”

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.