Two people have been prosecuted following instances of illegal gas installation and a breach of health and safety regulations.
Leslie Morgan was found guilty of illegally installing a boiler and issuing a gas safety certificate for an address in Cannock in October 2010.
Mr Morgan’s Gas Safe registration had expired in 2006 and this had only permitted him to work for a previous employer, Stafford Magistrates Court was told.
He had also ignored a letter from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) in 2008, instructing him to become properly trained and registered, after carrying out unregistered work in 2007.
Mr Morgan was fined £4,000 and ordered to pay £1,900 costs, after pleading guilty to the breach of Regulation 3(3) of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations 1998.
Another court case saw Hayes Electrical and Building Services owner Terence Hayes prosecuted by the HSE after two employees were injured, one seriously.
The accident occurred at Pier Head ferry terminal, where the two workers attempted to install a new fuse into a switchboard with the power still connected.
One of the employees received severe burns, spending four days in hospital as a result. His colleague received burns to his face and also required hospital treatment.
Mr Hayes pleaded guilty to breaching the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 after allowing his employees to work while the electricity supply was live.
He was fined £8,000 and ordered to pay £4,766 costs by Liverpool Magistrates’ Court.
The HSE has recently reported a change to reporting procedures, with only fatal and major injury reports received by phone.