Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Fine for carbon monoxide death

A Glasgow-based security firm has been fined £7,000 after one of its workers died of carbon monoxide poisoning
on a construction site in the city.

Thomas Fraser, 37, died on 6 February 2008 at an on-site flat used as a base for employees.

He worked as a security guard for Alpha Group Security on the construction site at Ann Street, Burnbank, Hamilton.

Hamilton Sheriff Court heard that a portable power generator was used inside the flat but Mr Fraser had not been provided with proper instructions on its safe use.

The generator was operated inside the flat without appropriate ventilation and Mr Fraser was overcome by a build-up of carbon monoxide fumes and died.

Alpha Group Security Ltd pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1), 2 and 33 (a) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. Following the case, Inspector Adrian Tinson said: “This tragic incident should never have happened.

“It is the clear duty of those who create risks to manage them and to implement safe systems of work.

“This means clear instructions should be provided to contractors and operators and checks made to ensure they understand them.

“It should not be assumed that someone knows how to operate equipment. Responsible management of risk should have ensured the safe set up and use of the portable petrol generator in a well-ventilated area which could have avoided this unnecessary death.”