Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Family rescued after faulty boiler emits Carbon Monoxide

The UK’s official gas safety authority has issued advice after six members of a Blackburn family escaped from a carbon monoxide leak which almost cost them their lives, the Lancashire Telegraph reported.

The family were rescued from their home in Railway Grove, Little Harwood, after a faulty boiler began pumping out the lethal gas on Saturday afternoon.

Gas Safe Register stakeholder manager Sarah Hill said: “Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer as it you can’t see it, smell it or taste it, but it can kill quickly and without warning.

“One of the best ways to keep you and your family gas safe is to get appliances checked at least once a year.”

Residents should know the warning signs of an unsafe gas appliance — including lazy yellow or orange flames instead of the crisp, blue ones. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be similar to flu. They include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.