Gas safety advice has been issued following a leak at a Pulborough business that forced an evacuation, the West Sussex County Times has reported.
Staff at a Pulborough business were forced to evacuate, a main road was shut and locals were advised to stay in their homes and refrain from smoking after the leak.
Contractors working in the forecourt outside the Harwoods Group car showroom in London Road may have accidentally pierced the nearby gas main, causing ‘a surprising volume of gas’ to leak, the company said.
Martin McKilligin, watch commander at Storrington fire station who arrived at the scene around 11.30am, said if an ‘ignition source’ had been present there could have been an explosion.
West Sussex Fire and Rescue closed the nearby A29 in both directions while the threat of the gas remained, but it was opened again at about 1pm.
The fire service advised locals to stay indoors with windows closed, and asked them to refrain from smoking.
Harwoods briefly evacuated the Land Rover insurance site, but the situation was cleared when the British Gas engineer left the site at about 3pm.
Harwoods Group was the only building affected by the leak.