Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Essex plumber in court after illegal gas work

A plumber from Tolleshunt Major has been sentenced to 140 hours community service after he put the lives of prospective homeowners in danger, following illegal gas work on appliances at a home Tiptree.

Ryan Ellingford, 30, of Theedoms, Grove Farm Road, Tolleshunt Major, Essex, was prosecuted after an investigation by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) found he had also illegally issued a landlord gas safety certificate for the work with a false registration number.

Southend Magistrates’ Court heard on 28 November that Mr Ellingford, trading as RJ Plumbing & Heating, was contracted to check gas appliances on a rental property on Globe Walk immediately prior to it being sold.

He undertook the work despite not being Gas Safe-registered, as the law requires, and issued landlord’s gas safety certificates for a boiler, pipework and a cooker at the premises indicating that the boiler had been serviced.

However, a subsequent inspection of Mr Ellingford’s work by Gas Safe identified the boiler as falling into its “immediately dangerous” category.

Mr Ellingford was sentenced to 140 hours community service and ordered to pay costs of £339 after pleading guilty to two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

After the case, HSE inspector Corrine Godfrey said: “People can die as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, and by his negligence Ryan Ellingford could have caused the illness or death of the prospective residents and neighbours of this property.

“The purpose of the Gas Safe Register is to protect the public from gas work being carried out by people who have not been trained and are not competent. Mr Ellingford was not registered and had not been assessed as competent by the Gas Safe Register. His actions endangered householders and their neighbours and put them at serious risk of injury and even, potentially, death.”

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.