Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Essex fireplace fitters fined after gas leak

An Essex fireplace installation company has been fined after their work on domestic gas pipes put a family’s life at risk.

Southend Magistrates’ Court was told that Fireplaces by Heals had failed to use a competent and Gas Safe registered engineer to ensure that the work carried out on the property had been properly completed.

After the hearing, HSE Inspector Edward Crick said: “This failure resulted in a significant gas leak at the householder’s property and it is only a matter of luck that there was no serious damage or injuries as a result.”

Gas Safe Register chief executive Paul Johnston added: “A quarter of a million illegal gas jobs are carried out every year by people who don’t have the skills or the qualifications to work safely with gas. It’s therefore vital that people always make sure the person working on their gas appliances is on the Gas Safe Register.”

Fireplaces by Heals was found guilty of breaching Regulations 3(2) and 4 of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998, and Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. They were fined £4,000 and ordered to pay £10,000 costs.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.