Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Engineering company and director fined for illegal gas work

A West Midlands company and its director have been fined after carrying out illegal gas work at restaurants across the Midlands and south of the country, putting business owners and customers’ lives at risk.

Kaysor Ahmed, 42, from Walsall, managing director of Sylhet Welding UK, previously Sylhet Welding and Engineering, carried out work himself, while not being Gas Safe registered, and employed others who were also not Gas Safe registered, over a sustained period.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found a variety of gas work had been carried out by Sylhet, which specialised in the manufacture and supply of industrial catering equipment, such as cooking ranges.

In the south of England, HSE found Mr Ahmed’s companies illegally carried out gas work on numerous restaurants, which HSE investigated.

Kaysor Ahmed of Wednesbury Road, Walsall, pleaded guilty to breaching regulation 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and section 37 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, and was fined £6,600 and ordered to pay costs of £2,028. He was also banned from being a company director for two years.

Sylhet Welding UK of Oxford Street, Bilston, pleaded guilty to breaching regulations 3(2) and 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and was fined £6,600 and ordered to pay costs of £1,118.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Graham Tompkins said: “It is only a matter of luck that no-one has been killed or seriously injured as a result of the illegal gas work carried out by this company.

“In their various incarnations, they were warned on numerous occasions that they must be Gas Safe registered in order to work with gas and gas appliances, but this was never adhered to.

“Work was carried out in restaurants across the midlands and south of England over several years. Neither Mr Ahmed nor his company was Gas Safe registered so were not qualified or competent to undertake this work.

“In some cases the installations were left in appalling conditions that put the restaurant staff and customers at real risk of possible fire or explosion. Sub-standard work on gas installations by illegal fitters can also lead to serious health problems. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. HSE will not hesitate to prosecute those who work illegally and put the public at risk.”

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.