Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Engineer fined for unregistered work

A gas engineer from Ascot has been fined for potentially unsafe work he carried out at local pub despite not being registered to carry out the job.

Philip Payne, 49, was trading as Wentworth Plumbing and Heating when he carried out commercial catering gas installation in the kitchen at The Swinley, in Brockenhurst Road, Ascot, between August 1 and August 14, 2009.

On Friday, February 17, Reading Magistrates Court heard that although Payne, of Brook Avenue, was registered with Gas Safe Register for work on domestic boilers, he was not registered to work on commercial catering installations.

His faulty work was discovered by an engineer carrying out repairs to the cooking range under warranty.

He filed a report to Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR) and Gas Safe Register and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigated.

HSE inspector Ray Kelly said: “Gas Safe Register is there to save lives: it ensures gas engineers are fully trained and competent to carry out specific types of gas work, so it is vital anyone working with gas appliances is registered.

“In this instance, Mr Payne was competent and registered to carry out work on domestic boilers but not on gas-fired commercial catering equipment, which has very different requirements. There are rules, regulations and standards to be aware of which don’t apply to domestic settings.

“An engineer who is Gas Safe Registered for commercial catering work would have the necessary training to carry out this installation correctly.

“While the installation was not immediately dangerous, the failures meant that it could become unsafe if faults developed.”

Payne admitted breaching regulations 3(3) and 5(3) of the Gas Safety Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and was fined £1,300 and ordered to pay £1,000 in costs.

To check a business or an engineer, call 0800 408 5500 or visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk