The Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) has announced the new Ministerial portfolios following on from last week’s reshuffle.
Gregory Barker MP remains in his role as Minister of State.
MoS supports the Secretary of State on:
- The Green Deal
- CERT, CESP & ECO
- Energy Efficiency Deployment Office (EEDO)
- Energy demand reduction (including its contribution to EMR)
- Public sector energy efficiency, including greening DECC
- Green jobs and skills, SMEs and growth
- Promoting the interests of energy consumers
- Fuel Poverty, Warm Home Discount and Warm Front
- National and international climate change
- National carbon markets and EU ETS (including Energy Intensive Industries)
- Climate science
- Carbon budgets
- Carbon reduction commitment
- Green Investment Bank
- Heat, including the Renewable Heat Incentive
- Decentralised/community energy and small scale renewables (inc cooperative / local ownership and business rates)
- Energy innovation, including marine energy (wave and tidal) and geothermal
- Planning reform and consents
Edward Davey’s responsibilities include; DECC strategy and budgets; electricity market reform; carbon price; annual Energy Statement; energy security; National Security Council; DECC delivery landscape; Devolved Administrations; Carbon Plan; 2050 Pathways and renewable energy strategy.
John Hayes MP is the new Minister of State for Energy. His responsibilities include; the Energy Bill; International energy; CCS, gas and coal policy; nuclear policy; renewable energy deployment; grid policy including smart grids and network of recharging points; Oil and Gas exploration, licensing and revenues and offshore environment and decommissioning.
Baroness Verma is Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for DECC.
Baroness Verma supports the Secretary of State on:
- Departmental performance and delivery
- Managing liabilities, including coal health and the Concessionary Fuel Scheme
- Departmental business in the Lords
- Managing the nuclear legacy, including NDA performance and delivery (supported by the Shareholder Executive) and policy on plutonium and MOX
- Geological Disposal Facility (GDF)
- Civil nuclear security, including responsibility for the Civil Nuclear Constabulary
- Smart meters
- Nuclear safety and regulation
- Nuclear non-proliferation
- Supports Greg Barker on Green Deal and fuel poverty