Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

'Dangerous installation' results in fines for two companies

Fines and costs totalling nearly £27,000 have been handed down to two companies following gas safety failings at a student hall of residence.

A report from the HSE described how it had prosecuted Direct Laundry Installations of Halifax, West Yorkshire and Circuit Laundrette Services of Halifax Lane, Ripponden for failing to comply with safety legislation.

Both companies appeared at York Magistrates’ Court, where Direct Laundry Installations pleaded guilty to failures under Section 3(3) and 27(5) of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations and were fined £12,000 with costs of £935.

Circuit Laundrette Services were fined £13,000 with costs of £974, after pleading guilty to the contravention of Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.

HSE inspector Julian Frankin said: “This case arose because Circuit failed to follow their own normal commissioning procedures, resulting in a dangerous installation being put into use.

“Luckily none of the students in the affected blocks suffered any health effects but it could have been fatal.”