Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Coronation Street publicises CO poisoning

More than 8 million people have watched Coronation Street character Fiz Brown be poisoned by carbon monoxide escaping from her faulty boiler.

The Mirror reported that Gemma Dalchin and her two young children from Crawley, West Sussex, had been feeling unwell for a month before the programme suffering from persistent headaches and feeling sluggish.

When Ms Dalchin tuned into Coronation Street on New Years Eve she saw Fiz collapse and realised that she might be suffering from the same thing.

As soon as the programme ended, she checked the website and rang the helpline number, who told her to turn off her gas appliances and open the windows.

Shortly afterwards an engineer shut down the boiler and told Ms Dalchin to go to hospital, where tests showed that the level of CO in her blood was still high.

Ms Dalchin’s boiler has now been fixed and she has bought a CO alarm. She told the Mirror: “I’m so grateful to Coronation Street for highlighting the issue so well. The programme has literally saved our lives.”

As well as helping the programme makers with the storyline, Gas Safe Register also made sure that viewers could quickly find out more about CO poisoning and how to protect themselves from it. Corrie fans were directed to a dedicated microsite set up by Gas Safe Register: www.staygassafe.co.uk

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.