Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Contractors fined over gas death

A hotel guest died from carbon monoxide poisoning after two heating contractors failed in their duty to correctly install and maintain a heating system, a court heard.

Father-of-two Frederick Jackson died after the gas leaked into his room at the Great Western Hotel in Newquay, Cornwall, in April 2008, Truro Crown Court was told.

A flue leading from the boiler that went below the bathroom window of the 52-year-old’s room had not been fixed correctly.

Jonathan Mingo, 37, was responsible for the design and installation of the system and Philip David Hodge, 49, for installing and commissioning it. The pair both worked at County Heating Maintenance Ltd.

Mingo, a director and shareholder of the company, was fined £5,000 for breaching gas safety regulations and was ordered to pay £5,000 court costs.

Hodge, who started the company and now works as an electrician there, was fined £2,000 for the same offence and was ordered to pay £2,550 costs.

Mingo, of Polmear Road, St Austell, was acquitted of Mr Jackson’s manslaughter, but found guilty of breaching gas safety regulations.

Hodge, of Cormorant Drive, St Austell, admitted breaching the regulations.

Mr Justice Butterfield said a fine was the only sentencing option available to him.