Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

CO danger highlighted by recent campsite death

The tragic death of a teenage girl from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning provides a further stark warning of the potential danger created when burning fuel.

Hannah Thomas-Jones was pronounced dead by emergency services at the Shropshire campsite.

Her mother, step-father and brother were also found to be unconscious and taken to hospital.

Hannah’s brother is continuing to receive treatment but is expected to be allowed home soon.

A used disposable barbecue was discovered inside the porch of the tent and investigations are continuing by the police and Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service.

A statement has been issued advising that Hannah’s death is not being treated as suspicious.

Frequently associated with gas appliances, the latest incident shows that carbon monoxide is an ever-present danger whenever fuel is burnt.