Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Caravan owners alerted to carbon monoxide poisoning risk

Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council are alerting caravan owners and local residents of the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning from gas cookers, Ballymoney and Moyle Times has reported.

It comes after findings by the coroner in the deaths of Mr and Mrs O’Reilly, who died in a caravan park in Newcastle, County Down on 21 January.

Coroner Mr Lecky found that the O’Reillys lost their lives to carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of a malfunctioning cooker.

The council has been asked to ensure that a safety message regarding certain gas cookers and general carbon monoxide safety is followed up within caravan parks located in the borough.

Site operators have been contacted and asked to assist in this regard.

Caravan owners should be aware that any modifications to any gas appliances should only be undertaken by a Gas Safe-registered engineer and all gas appliances should be serviced by such an engineer on an annual basis.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.